Posted on November 19, 2018

The national scheme aims to offset the effect of GST on home ownership with a one-off grant. If you build with J G King homes, you’re eligible for a grant from the State Revenue Office of Victoria.

Before you apply, here’s 6 things you need to know:

  1. The $10,000 grant is for applicants buying or building their first new home.
  2. It doesn’t matter if your home is a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or similar.
  3. Your home must be valued at $750,000 or less.
  4. It must be a property that’s used for residential purposes - it can’t be an investment or holiday house.
  5. New homes built in regional Victoria with contracts signed from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2020 are given a grant of $20,000.
  6. The date the grant is paid depends on whether you are building or buying. It also depends on whether you are applying directly to the State Revenue Office Victoria or through an approved agent / lender.

Ready to apply? Here’s four key steps to consider:

1. Check the eligibility with the SRO online eligibility tool. You or your spouse must
- Be 18 years or more
- Be an Australian citizen or resident
- Not have received a grant in any other state of Australia
- Never have owned (or part-owned) a property
- Not be an owner builder
2. Gather evidence. Be prepared to provide identity and relevant visa/citizenship documents.
3. Read the lodgement guide and complete your application. To download the form, you can visit
4. Time to lodge! An agent will put your application in on your behalf once it’s signed and witnessed. Alternatively, you can apply directly to the State Revenue Office.

Want to learn how we can help make it even easier to get into your first home? Click here.